This City Never Sleeps
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 @ Leap Forward to 2009
Just minutes ago, we had said goodbye to the not so memorable 2008. Here I am writing to everyone, from these very beginning of 2009.

Many people said that 2008 is not a year which they would remember. True enough, even though the Chinese seems to love 2008, especially it marks the beginning of the zodiac cycle (with that little rat starting the year.) Bad memories filled the year with sadness, especially with many things that we do not wish to look back.

Look what has happened to the world in 2008: the moral behind the death of Heath Ledger: Never consume sleeping pills in excess, for you will never know that will kill you the next second. Melamine found in milk powders in China tells you that you should look out for what's inside your food. The moral of both stories: chemical kills.

The world is looking forward to Beijing Olympic Games in August 2008, since the Chinese loves eight, and having a double eight (read: August 08, which makes into 0808) makes everything goes smoothly. Never did they realised that 2 incidents puts China to a test: the outbreak of constant riots in Tibet during Mar and the Sichuan earthquake in May. Did China survived thru the tests during the Olympic Games? You judge that by yourself.

The collapse of Lehman Brothers leads to a economical crisis in Singapore and around the world in September. Recession hits us bit by bit, and now they are devouring our wallets, where they expect us to cough out our hard-earned salary to tide thru the recession.

I became a Singaporean in 2008, leaving my native country Malaysia. I met Alen in person finally, and I gave back something back to my alma-mater: Temasek Polytechnic.

Looking forward to 2009, everyone is hoping that with the Year of Ox, things will get much more better. Well, Ox gotta run fast, right?

Anyway, the reason why I could sit down here and write to all is obvious: I did not go for any countdown. Neither do many of my friends go for countdown as well.

Alen is staying at home.
Jasmond is back to Bedok Camp for guard duty tomorrow (or should I say today?)
Yaoda is not looking forward to any countdown parties.
I did not ask Lawrence and Jess out for countdown, cos I leave them to enjoy themselves.

In fact, when I walked down the streets of Orchard Road at 11pm, there wasn't seems to have much crowd, compared to 2006. Mabey it is because everyone had lost their mood to party?

No matter what lies ahead, all I can say is: May 2009 be a very happy, healthy, joyous and blessful year for all of us.

Happy 2009. =)

Somewhere around the corner in the city lies a man with some past...
Previous Post Archives

that leads one to...