This City Never Sleeps
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 @ Goodbye Royston, Hello Shawn.
This story will be told in 2 parts.

Goodbye Royston.

I am referring to the only Singapore director who had made himself to Time magazine, Royston Tan. Yes, he was in my unit for a filming of a short film. And after meeting him with Lawrence at National Library last year, i thought: that is a nice little session with the former TP Alumni who made himself a name in the world for his homoerotic styled Ah beng flick 15, which was serverly injured by the censors here.

Unfortunately, he came down to my unit for a filming, which has once again ignited my curiosity and passion for him and his film. So i told myself: OK, i shall see you in my unit today. Mabey we could say hi to each other.

Sad to say, didn't saw him when working throughout the day.

Until somewhere around late afternoon, while i was handling a call, he walked past the guardroom with his crew and they stepped out of the camp. My colleagues have no idea who was Royston. And yes, he left while i was handling the call.

A feeling of sadness and disappointment rushes towards me, and haunts me for a moment. The feeling was unspeakable, for i missed another opportunity to talk to him.

Just like certain films that comes with a sequel where it becomes sucky, it seems that this theory applies to meeting some people for the second time as well. A moment with Tsai Ming Liang was so so, and in the end, meeting him for the second time seems to feel so horrible.

Hello Shawn

Was taking a train back home from Bugis MRT Station, where there is a young man standing beside me. He looks familiar.

Later,

Man: Hey David! Hello!
Me: Shawn?
Man: Yes. How are you?

I've realised that time not only flies, but it has been advancing at the speed of... I do not know.

All of a sudden, it seems that everyone in TP has grown up, and living in an individual life. Should i say it is a good thing?

Shawn did not make it to the Commando school, and so does many of our peers who didn't make it to commanding school. Nevertheless, it's all about what you want at the end of the day, for you are living for yourself, not living for the others.

How are you, my friends from TP?

Now playing: Meltdown - Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke (Extract from OST of Michael Mann's The Insider)

Somewhere around the corner in the city lies a man with some past...
Previous Post Archives

that leads one to...