This City Never Sleeps
Sunday, April 19, 2009 @ Memories
Ever after since I had become officially unemployed (sounds better than jobless, isn't it?), I am doing what I've feel like doing. More rather, doing something which I could have never done before for the past few months. 2 years of NS + 9 months in TP = 33 months of keeping myself occupied with something.

Somehow, knowing that I am jobless, I just felt that I've got nothing to fall back on. I mean, when one is jobless, he/she will tend to laze around, or to send endless job application so that they could have something to occupy their mind. Right?

First 3 months of NS - Practically no life at all. Yes, spending my time going thru thick and thin with my platoon mates. The next 21 months is swimming with the sharks in the deep blue sea. At least, I had duties to be completed, and this prevents my mind from wondering around. Even though it seems to be dreadful about training (not so much on training though. More on duties) the next day after Sunday, I told myself: look forward to the next day. Tomorrow will be better.

Guardroom is given with a copy of Straits Times daily, without fail. Even though we are soldiers, we still need to be updated with what is happening around us, right? PY loves IT section, everyone learns a bit of everything from Mind Your Health, and I look forward to the sweet treats on Urban, which in the past falls on Thurs (the sub copy of IT, MYH and Urban has been shifted to a day backward for now.) Also remembered how everyone wants to snatch the copy of Life! away, so as to stop me from reading movie reviews (cos they believed that I am a movie dictionary.)

Having Urban to go along with my favourite lor mee and kopi ice is the best time to be in the guardroom. I know, weekend is coming soon. So it's the usual makan session with friends, movies and shopping. Yes, Fri nite movie at Princess with it's $7 weekend ticket for a Chinese show, Lido on a Sat evening or The Picturehouse on a Sat afternoon. What a way to enjoy my weekend.

All this goes on for 21 months, until I've reach the next stage of life: WORK.

9 months in TP Corporate Communications and I could apply the skills I've learnt in TP Business school to work. Reaching out to the secondary school kids, promoting TP, work on events and occassional rubbing shoulders with celebrity. It's a added bonus when I pick up Corporate Communications. Hahahahaha.

Talking about rubbing shoulders with celebrity, I am referring to working with them to ensure that the programme runs smoothly. Leisure wise, I do met a few movie directors to know more about the style they are presenting in their movie. Not forgetting that these are some really good directors who presents us with high quality productions, not some crappy D-graded directors who creates trash out of money.

Some of the movie directors I met from NS till today:

-Royston Tan (3 times!)
-Kelvin Tong
-Tsai Ming Liang
-John Woo
-Wayne Wang
-Yasmin Ahmad (the talent who directed short films for MCYS and Petronas)
-Oliver Stone (the latest addition!)

Lessons learnt from them:
-Royston Tan: Nothing is unachievable. Bravo for our former TP DES student!
- Kelvin Tong: NIL
-Tsai Ming Liang: his movie will never make it to the Malaysian market, despite being a Malaysian and won several European film awards.
-John Woo: study hard when you have the opportunity. Education is important.
-Wayne Wang: the first step towards success is thru selling boxes of bra and panties, and that will give you valuable lessons in life.
-Yasmin Ahmad: always direct and simple, with values in it. Every race can live harmously together, and race and religion is not a barrier to know people around you better. Be forgivable to other people's mistake and you are being kind to yourself.
-Oliver Stone: making movies to keep a slice of history. What's happening around us will be going in 60 to 70 years time. Make a movie out of what is happening around us, especially something relevant to you, will do good for the future generations, so that they will not forget what they had today does not come free.

YES. A slice of memories for everyone of us.

Somewhere around the corner in the city lies a man with some past...
Previous Post Archives

that leads one to...